Friday, July 18, 2008

A Tiny Glimmer

This Presidential election season drones on and on dragging us along into a dark and dreary future. Having no one that I can support with my heart and mind leaves this voter cold. At least I am cold when I am not offended, angrered or brought to despair by the crop of candidates that 2008 has produced.

But just when I am deciding whether it would be better to slam my head against the wall, or lay across the nearest train tracks to end this unbearable pain (I rate it right up there with passing a kidney stone, childbirth and a triple root canal.), the creative fraternal forces of JIB JAB rescue me from the morass.

Time for Some Campaigin' set to the tune of Dylan's The Times They Are a Changin' is an animated production which encapsulates the Presidential election season -nominees, the other major political players, the respective political parties, the whole campaign process, and the voters themselves.

No matter which side of the aisle you sit on, you are a boor, if you cannot enjoy good satire, even if it is directed at you personally. So to all of you who were only offended by having your guy, or gal, party, or position made the target of their rapier wit, get over it and learn to laugh.

For those who think the whole thing is appalling unAmerican and unpatriotic, you haven't got a clue! Political satire is a part of our American political heritage that can be traced to out colonial roots.

We need good satire. It provides me a glimmer of hope that from time to time, we can actually look at the political "realities"without shutting our eye our eyes and clenching our teeth and denying they even exist.

"D"

1 comment: